Thursday, May 24, 2012

11 months and a whirlwind


Isaac woke up like cockwork at 7am we were so not ready to be awake so in out attempts to take care of our very sick selves and Isaac we put on the T.V. on mute and let him do whatever in the house while we tried to sleep mmore. After his morning nap I asked a friend to come take him so we could finally get some sleep and she did. The plan was to have him come back right before his afternoon nap.

About the time that we were getting Isaac back I thought about how when I was in bed I tried to feel for the baby and it had been hours and I had felt no movement. I talked with Ben and asked him if I should call the doctors over it and we decided to do so. I asked if I could come in and get checked and they sent me right in.

I had some one take me so Ben could be home with Isaac since he had been shipped off and taken care of by many other people recently. At the doctor's appointment they had me do a urine sample to check for dehydration and then a none stress test. This is where they hook you up to a machine and check for contractions and the baby's heart beat. They can also see about the baby reactivity (is the baby responding to anything). Well my baby was not having any variability or reactivity. At this point we talked about an IV to get fluids into me and the likilyhood of a c-section. She said she had to go up to the hospital and that I needed to follow her up there to be further checked. I had forgotten my wallet before this and thought that I needed it so we went back to the house to get that and since I knew we were not in for a walk in the park a blessing.

We got back to the house and I told Ben what was going on, we got our home teacher to come over and help with a blessing. I remember from this being told that I would be strong enough to handle whatever and that the doctors would know what to do and that the Lord was mindful of the situation and knew what was going on.

We head up to the hospital and I am just not looking forward to an IV or this whole C-section idea. Anywho we get there and check in go up to labor and delivery and the same monitoring procedure starts. The nurse never seemed quite right while listening to the heart beat. At the doctors office it said it was about 130 beats per minute and that is also what the machine at the hospital was saying. The nurse just said it did not sound right. They get a few people in to check it out and listen. The nurse asked for a Doppler so she could count and double check to see what the heartbeat was.

My midwife came in and listened as well. At this moment Helene (midwife) covers her mouth and says OMG and I said WHAT? She was in serious shock. The heartbeat was not 130 that was all the machine could pick up it was about 260bpm. The machines were halving the heartbeat because of how fast it was going. As a side note a normal fetus heartbeat is between 120 and 160bpm. So the draw my blood and start an IV and say that Ben needs to get up here now. The whole C-section thing is really getting to me I do not do needles, and I beg my midwife to just be emotional with me and she hugs me and I can tell she understands. Because all of this is way out of her expertise she had gotten a hold of the doctor on call who I met once before.

Doctor Meredith was equally shocked and had called the specialty teams here in UT as for further advice. I really have no clue what is going on right now other than I am trying to emotionally prepare for a C-Section. Ben comes and my friend leaves and they take me over to a Labor and Delivery room, Helene says it is her favorite room and she says and talks with me for awhile. They have an ultrasound tech come in and start to check things out further.

I asked some questions but the two I remember was after your are done doing your job can you just look and see if it is really a boy, and can I have a picture? They all laugh at me and say it is clear and obvious that it is a boy and that no one is wrong and I tell them the story about Karen saying she had never been wrong and if she was then she would pay for college. I accept it. At this point they tell me the baby has a SVT (supraventricular tachycardia). The baby's heartbeat is too fast. The ultrasound tech is also doing a BPP(Biophysical profile). For the BPP there are five things that they are looking at, 1 fine movement, 2 gross movement, 3 fluid around the baby, 4 breathing,  and I believe the heart rate.

They rate the BPP on a scale 0 to 10. My poor baby was not having fine or gross movement. The rating was 2-4 not very good at all. Ben goes out to give our house keys to our friend and get our cameras and it takes him a bit. He comes back in and tells me they are going to fly me to U of U. Uhm what? ok. Why does he know and I do not. Meanwhile Debbie comes to the hospital and we relay the story to her and I ask that she make a list of things to bring and then go with Ben to pack up him and Isaac so they can meet me at the Hospital since there was room for him on the plane but not Isaac. They leave and man the reality T.V. shows hit.

Doctor Meredith comes back in with an ultrasound machine again. All of these other people start coming in again as well they are all from the ambulance and the flight team. I could not get on the plane until the baby had a better BPP more like 4 or 6 preferably a 8. Still we are waiting for the poor baby to move. While they are doing the ultrasound I can see the little heart beating so rapidly that I think he just needs to come out. It was pretty scary to see just how fast the little guys heart was going. I just did not want to see that anymore it was too much I forget what the baby didn't pass. They baby moves enough and then they check me to see how dilated and effaced I am and they say 4 and 80%.

Before they start getting me on the stretcher they tell me I have to have a Cather put in or fully tube. Uhm ok wait what. Yeah the most uncomfortable thing ever. It hurt and it was terrible. Apparently people usually get them when they have epidurals and can't feel a thing. well let me tell you I felt it all.

The swarm of people come in and introduce themselves to me and tell me a bunch of other things I do not remember. I get sheet lifted on to a stretcher and have an oxygen mask on and heart rate monitors and whatever else. well they have me cross my arms over my chest and start strapping me down and wrapping blankets around me. I literally can't move. They wheel me out of the hospital and I remember thinking am I dying I certainly don't feel like I am dying. I also thought about how many people I must be scaring. You normally do not have someone leaving the hospital on a stretcher, that is how they come in.

They get me into the ambulance and turn the sirens on and take me to an airport. I seriously have no clue where I went all I know is that I finally was able to take a ride in an ambulance for the first time in my life with sirens, which by the way are not very loud inside the ambulance. The girls that were with me were so nice they got Ben's number and said that they call the husbands when they land and all that jazz.

At the airport I start to look around a bit more and I see the plane it is itty bitty and every time they moved me from one thing to another I felt really fat. When they would lift me into the next vehicle I thought I was going to fall every time..... this must have come across in my face because they would reassure me that they have me and that I was not going to be dropped.

The airplane ride was pretty interesting. I could not hear much or see too much either. I took up half of the airplane. I was able to see out of a few windows although there was not much to see. Once we got going I was able to look out the window and see the cresant moon for awhile, that was nice and pretty. Mostly I just watched the lady Sandy who was with me. They have so much paperwork they have to do. She was so nice and kept asking me if I was ok and I was. Mostly it was all a blur, I still had no clue what was going on. I was just hoping that Ben would be there for the C-section is all.

We landed about an hour and a half later at the Salt Lake International airport. From the airport we got into another ambulance and rode with the sirens and lights on. We never had to stop at all we went straight to the University of Utah hospital. I believe at this time it was about 10pm or close to that. I ask again about the stupid catheter and food. They take the catheter out and say after they know what is going on they can give me food. I am getting hooked up to everything and they are doing another BPP. Baby rates a 8 out of 10 which is as high as he has ever been so that was nice. The doctor that came in was a redhead and we made jokes about that and it was fun. Oh and because I was in a new hospital they drew my blood again. Three needles in the same day within a few hours....

Ben arrived some time after the chaos and drama was mostly over. He brought Isaac who was just so tired and confused in with him. My poor baby was uhm well wearing something from a friend and I just had to laugh. He did not come to me. I think we went to bed that night at about 1:30am.

No comments:

Post a Comment